TOOLS FOR ACTION
Be informed. Sign up on our website to receive the latest news on Hungarian minorities. We post need to know developments affecting Hungarian minorities on our homepage, Facebook page and group, in both English and Hungarian. Everyone’s time is precious, so we will only email you when there are critical and time-sensitive developments. Look for subject lines HHRF News, HHRF Alert or HHRF Call to Action and please designate emails from firstname.lastname@example.org as safe.
- Stay informed on the Hungarian-American community numbers through current census data. To understand why we need to pay attention to census trends and the current numbers read this document.
- Continue learning by attending human rights workshops. Our most recent workshop titled Advocacy 101 delves into social media use and getting the attention of legislators.
Make your voice heard. Anytime is a good time to contact your Members of Congress on issues you care about, forwarding HHRF emails with a personalized message either by email or telephone. The latter is the most effective means to make your voice heard. When it’s urgent, we’ll provide you with the tools to contact policy makers on the issues HHRF identifies and you care about.
Take action. It’s also important for each of us individually to inform the public via newspapers and social media, providing correction and clarification, when necessary, through letters to the editor, op-eds and commenting. In addition, your hometown media will undoubtedly welcome content from readers, especially tied to local interest.
Donate to HHRF. Consider a monthly contribution, providing a ReConnect Transylvania+ scholarship, naming HHRF in your will or life insurance policy, or asking your employer to match your contribution.
Other ways you can drum up support:
- Shop at smile.amazon.com and select Hungarian Human Rights Foundation as you charity. The Program will receive .05 percent of all eligible purchases you make.
- Do a Facebook fundraiser for your birthday.
- Plan a party for family and friends in your home or favorite venue to benefit HHRF. Restaurant chains such as 99, Applebee’s, Chili’s, Panera Bread, Rubio’s (30 percent!), Uno’s – the list goes on – make it very easy for you to organize an event and will donate a percentage to your selected non-profit. We’ll give you the necessary tax-exempt certificate and help you fill out the paperwork.
- Ask family and friends to make a donation to HHRF as your birthday or holiday gift.